Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

William Kentridge



This is more interesting than various articles about the man that I read. I prefer to hear his own words as well.

There are various cross-overs in his work and my intended work. He speaks of using other peoples pain as subject matter and how this may be a way to be compassionate. I will be looking not necessarily at pain, although some elements might be painful, but will focus more on abstract negative and usually unacknowledged parts of the creative process and and use their visualisation as a catharsis of sorts.

"there's something about studying those heads for hours that becomes a compassionate act for me, even though on the one hand you can say it's very cold-bloodedly and ghoulishly looking at disaster or using other peoples pain as raw material for the work... I mean that's what every artist does they use other peoples pain as well as their own raw material..."

Kentridge then goes on to say that the compassion of spending hours with a subject hopefully redeems the abusive nature of exploiting painful experience. Aside from these conceptual factors the materiality of his animation work I find particularly compelling, the paper is like a surface for a performance. This is how I would like to approach my animation also.





Couldn't find many whole animation artworks on the internet (only snippets interspersed with into interviews) but found this work. An interesting look at a different form of delivery of stop motion animation:



What Will Come 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment