Search This Blog

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Contemporary portraiture as "portraits that aren't"


In the creation of artworks there always seem to be ideas that are in gestation that don't get mentioned explicitly. I've been thinking about sourcing my artwork from others. I have scanned some scribbly notes I made last night about potential further directions of my artmaking... I know this is something that would normally be included in a process diary, but it's important here because it has redirected my line of research:


I've been reading today about contemporary portraiture, some artist practices and the way they approach notions of identity. I'd like to look at the way the public identifies the genius.

"If artists such as Yasumasa Morimura delight in facilitating recognition, UK artist Gillian Wearing partially or completely disguises subjects in order to emphasise alternative aspects of their identity. Masks, in particular, are a favourite form of concealment.
Here is a catalogue containing some of Wearing's work which I have looked at. Whilst my artwork is going to take a very different form the theme of abstracting identity is common:


http://www.maureenpaley.com/artists/gillian-wearing



In a 1994 video, members of the public responding to a small-ad invitation to "Confess all" donned party-style rubber masks in order to anonymously reveal misdemeanours, vices and personal traumas." and also, on a series of paintings of pin up models:
"Yet each portrait (commissioned from illustrator Jim Burns) is of a real subject - two men and five women - who Wearing located through an ad placed online, then sent for a make-over and photo-shoot before passing the images to the painter."
(http://www.modernedition.com/art-articles/contemporary-art-portraits/the-contemporary-portrait.html)

Wearing orchestrates the creation of an artwork, but does not "make" the work. I am interested in this distance.

I enjoyed The Michael Landy work "acts of kindness" that was a John Kaldor public arts project in 2011. More info:
http://kaldorartprojects.org.au/_webapp_1441197/MICHAEL_LANDY_2011
Again this is the sourcing and presentation of other peoples experience/opinions.

This is vastly removed from the idea of the genius. Perhaps this concept will weave back into my work somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment